Job ID: 226852837
RELIANT GROUP MANAGEMENT
POSITION – CONSTRUCTION MANAGER
Reliant Group Management is seeking a highly qualified and motivated candidate to join our team as Construction Manager with specific responsibilities to manage the renovation of a student housing property located adjacent to Virginia Tech University in Blacksburg, Virginia.
Reliant Group Management is a San Francisco based private equity firm with a nationwide presence. We specialize in acquiring high quality assets in opportunistic situations utilizing creative financing methods including low income housing tax credits and tax-exempt housing revenue bonds. We reposition and/or restructure existing multifamily rental properties to create value for our investors and improve the livelihood of our tenants.
The firm is headquartered in San Francisco, with satellite offices in Los Angeles, Sacramento, Seattle, Austin and Dallas. We operate more than 10,000 units of housing nationwide, including student housing, senior housing, affordable and market rate multifamily assets. The construction management services provided by Reliant Group include contractor selection, bidding, value engineering, oversight of construction and rehabilitation efforts, construction cost and schedule monitoring and creative problem solving to keep projects on time and budget.
We are currently investing our ninth fully discretionary equity fund ($200MM) focused on acquiring, developing, and operating both affordable and market rate rental properties across the United States. Reliant Group has acquired over $2.5 billion of debt and equity in a variety of real estate transactions since 1992. The investment strategy is centered on the premise that scarce, but powerful stimulants to value creation reside with motivated people, original ideas and exacting execution.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Construction Manager will be based regionally, near Blacksburg, Virginia and will have primary responsibility for oversight of the extensive renovation of a 756 unit student housing community. Specifically, the successful candidate will:
• Establish renovation scope and design specifications for rehabilitation of existing units
• Refine scope of renovation, including plans and specifications, for existing units to be renovated with students in place.
• Develop construction scope utilizing environmentally friendly specifications and cost-effective solutions to maximize impact of development budget.
• Evaluate general contractors and other vendors through competitive bidding process, based on developed scope, financial models and design considerations of senior management. Prepare spreadsheets comparing contractor costs, general conditions, schedule and scope for discussion with senior management.
• Manage preconstruction process, solicit bids and negotiate contracts with vendors, including architects, engineers and contractors.
• Oversee ongoing construction, including serving as the owner’s representative to ensure timely completion within budget and underwriting guidelines.
• Through apps with pictures monitor construction progress and certify construction costs as needed. Recommend and implement methods and procedures to enhance construction efficiencies.
• Oversee the monthly draw process. Interface with the Asset Manager for the draw process and funding of monthly contractor draws, including contract administration as required. Review, analyze and respond to proposed change orders.
• Develop and oversee record keeping procedures and manage documentation in accordance with applicable regulations, policies, and standards.
• Serve as the primary liaison between third party contractor and asset management / property management.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Bachelor's degree and at least five years of relevant construction management experience in the multifamily sector, including major renovations of communities with more than 100 units. Design and formal architecture experience is a plus, but not required. An MBA or degree in Architecture is preferred, but not required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Ability to read and interpret architectural, civil, landscape and related planning documents. Familiarity with the permitting and planning process for new construction and major renovation projects.
• Solid communication and negotiating skills and ability to effectively communicate recommendations directly to senior management.
• Experience with major renovations and capital investments in multifamily assets (experience with green initiatives a plus).
• Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
• Commitment to excellence and attention to detail.
• Strong analytical and problem solving capabilities.
• Ability to manage numerous projects simultaneously independently.
• Ability to work both independently and build consensus as part of a team.
• Desire to work in an entrepreneurial, fast paced environment.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience. Benefits include company 401(k), and paid health and dental insurance premiums.
Location: We are looking for someone who lives in Blacksburg/Roanoke (Montgomery County) region or is willing to relocate. Any relocation fees will be paid and if we need to setup housing this will be included in the package.