- Community Home Builders
- McMinnville, Oregon
Community Home Builders has been assisting low to moderate income individuals and families achieve homeownership through a Mutual Self-Help Program for over twenty-eight years. Our program participants work together to build their own, and their future neighbor's homes. Our Construction Supervisor trains and oversess the work done by our program participants and will work with subconstractors and inspectors throughout the process. This job is incredibly rewarding in that you will be helping individuals and families become homeowners, helping them provide security and stability for themselves and their families.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervise Self-Help Housing Project and Participants in the construction of their homes.
- Instruct and guide construction of homes according to plans and local codes and best practices.
- Provide oversight to sub-contractors, solicit bids, assure licensure and insurance, approve invoices, attend inspections.
- Manage material purchasing, quantity and quality.
- Inventory all tools and equipment, inspect regularly for safety.
- Provide estimates and budget of homes and tools needed for construction.
- Ability to communicate with subcontractors, suppliers, and homeowners on a variety of construction related issues and to manage time and schedules effectively.
- Review plans, make comments and suggest changes, if needed, to ED, and communicate with Self-Helpers on this aspect.
- Teach safe and best practice techniques of home construction to self-help builders and volunteers, maintaining safe working conditions.
- Instruct and assist with land development and home builds from start through end of home construction working with novice home builders.
- Implement a participant work and labor agreement to ensure timely completion of houses.
- Be able to resolve conflicts between homeowners providing excellent communication to homeowners and between homeowners and other stakeholders.
- Order building materials, write PO’s.
- Provide Record keeping: Verify all vendor invoices for payment, classify expenditures according to construction budget, verify family labor hours, and prepare monthly construction progress reports.
- Five years professional building experience in residential construction.
- Leadership abilities, past manager, supervisor, coach, or teacher.
- Teaching background desirable – especially in working with adult learning styles.
- Experience with Excel and Word.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing. Bilingual in English and Spanish is desirable.
- A valid Oregon State Driver’s License.
At Community Home Builders we value our professional relationships with each other, our customers, contractor, funders, and all others in the communities we work with. It is very important to us that staff possesses certain traits that we believe make us stand out as respected professionals in our field. Following are some of the characteristics we see as very important:
- Empathy with low income and minority persons.
- Ability to relate with people from all walks of life, volunteers, homeowners, and staff.
- A well-developed sense of humor.
- Friendly and open with positive attitude.
- Professional, organized and takes pride in quality of work.
- Responsible and dependable.
- Loyal, honest, and trustworthy.
- Inspires confidence and makes people comfortable.
- Pride in appearance, appropriate to situation.
- Strong work ethic and self-motivation.
- Willingness to learn.
- Values harmony and promotes it in all relationships.
- Willingness to take initiative.
- Schedule flexibility; must work Saturdays and Sundays.
While the physical effort is typical to construction work (lifting, carrying, shoveling, etc.), it is not the Construction Supervisor’s job to build the houses, but to train and supervise the participating families to build their own houses.
Supports a safe work environment by performing all duties in accordance with company safety policies and procedures. This includes but is not limited to reporting all incidents and accidents maintaining work areas in a safe manner; reporting any unsafe working conditions; providing input and assistance to reduce or eliminate workplace hazards; and actively supporting ongoing safety efforts, including recommendations of the safety committee.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Community Home Builders is an equal opportunity employer. We believe every employee has the right to work in an environment free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is the policy of Community Home Builders that employment decisions for all applicants and employees will be made without regard to race (including physical characteristics that are historically associated with race, including but not limited to natural hair, hair texture, hair type and protective hairstyle color), color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, disability, or other characteristics protected under local, state or federal law. No employee will be retaliated against for raising concerns under this policy.
Job ID: 359788028