Lead Project Estimator ( Heavy Machinery / Fabrication / Steel )
- Birmingham, Alabama
The Lead Estimator is responsible for compiling estimates of how much it will cost to provide a client or potential client with products or services. They will do this by working out how much a project is likely to cost and create budgets accordingly. The job involves assessing heavy industrial, civil, and government fabrication and machining projects.
- Perform drawing and specification analysis, material takeoff and pricing as well as labor estimation of bridge, lock and dam, marine and other heavy/civil projects with values from $10K to $20M.
- Provide clear, detailed quality take-offs for material, labor, and equipment using company estimating standards.
- Work with estimating team to identify and communicate special project requirements and issues.
- Provide unparalleled personal attention to meeting the needs of our customers.
- Develop and maintain customer relationships.
- Assist with all Estimating functions specific to Company's core business practice.
- Attend Pre-bid meetings.
- Understand contractual terms and conditions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proficient with computer tools, online reporting software and computer programs (Microsoft Office Suite), Epicor Manufacturing ERP software or equivalent, and SharePoint.
- Communicate clearly to deliver vital information to upper-level management.
- Attention to detail to ensure specifications are being met and quality of purchases is up to standard.
- Knowledge of construction practices and labor costs, along with a good knowledge of the uses and costs of materials.
- Experience reading, understanding, interpreting complex engineering drawings and prints.
Education requirements or equivalent experience:
- Minimum high school education or equivalent machine shop or fabrication experience.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in structural steel, fabrication, machining take-offs for civil or government construction projects.
- Experience with heavy mechanical or civil fabrication or construction.
- Experience with cost estimating software such as Blue Beam, Costimator, Fabtrol, etc.
Not all aspects of the job are covered by the description – may require other duties as assigned.
Job may change over time in accordance with business needs.
Job description does not guarantee employment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, high or precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, outside weather conditions, extreme heat or cold, wet and/or humid conditions, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, and talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, bend, crouch or crawl, and smell. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws. Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. We are an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. It is the Company's policy to provide equal opportunity for all qualified persons and to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status, or any other legally protected status. We maintain a drug-free workplace and reserve the right to perform substance abuse testing as needed.
Job ID: 361826258